- You are here
- Steps To Grow From Cuttings
Steps To Grow From Cuttings
- If using cubes/plugs/sponges, pre-soak with a young plant nutrient or a weak ‘grow’ nutrient solution. If using compost, make sure it is moist, but not soaking wet.
- Select your cutting – it should be softwood (young, soft, green stems). Choose stems that are healthy and have at least three sets of nodes.
- Using a sterilised blade, make a slanted cut underneath the nodes, leaving a significant selection of the stem below.
- Remove the lower leaves, so energy is not wasted in maintaining them.
- Apply rooting gel to the dibble holes.
- Transfer your cutting into a propagator. In the summer, it is fine to leave your propagator on the windowsill; whilst in the winter months, it is important to control the heat and light, by using items, such as, a propagation lamp and a heat mat.